Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Reflections From Seat 21A

Though I'm writing this blog from home, I couldn't help but let my mind wander as Kaitlyn slept on the pull-down tray on the last leg of our journey home. Our last flight went well and surprisingly, did not involve any bathroom catastrophes. However, early in our flight Kaitlyn dumped a full glass of apple juice right on my shorts and that made it look like ... well, you guessed it ... like I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. The one time I order apple juice - the drink that looks like pee - on a plane, and I leave wearing it. Even still, thanks to all of you who showed interest in my bathroom well being. Like I always say, "Safety first."

Well, OK, I never say that. But it's a good principle nonetheless.

We left London, ON at 8:15am yesterday which meant we had to be up and at it by 5am. That's right, yesterday was chalk-full of good times. Our flight from London to Toronto was on the smallest puddle-jumper of a plane I've ever been on. The plane had 18 seats in total and we could see right into the cockpit. I think the sheep and goats were in the back with the people who couldn't afford first class.

Our flight into Regina arrived about 15 minutes early, quite the feat considering we left Toronto almost 10 minutes late. I guess we missed rush hour in the air. So we made it home just after noon our time. And let me tell you, it is good to be home and sleep in our own bed for the first time in close to a month.

Being home is a little bittersweet. It's good because we're back in familiar territory, and like my father-in-law insists, "If you wanna run around the house naked, you can because it's your house!" Not that I would do such a thing, but in the event that I ever lost my sanity - and all of my clothes - at least the option is there.

It's also good because we finally have the opportunity to get Kaitlyn familiar with her more permanent surroundings and get her into a regular routine. She slept in her new bed for the first time last night and did pretty well after a long day. She also met Dreyfuss, our dog, for the first time and she received a wet, furry welcome home. Dreyfuss also didn't leave our side for about the first hour we were here. We weren't sure if he was "in heat" or if he was just glad to see us. Turns out he remembers who we are.

And, we certainly won't miss an airplane or living out of a suitcase any time soon. The airplane food during our in-China flights was especially gruesome. Some of the Chinese food was questionable as it is, but when the meal they give you is the only thing that seperates you and the barf-bag in the seat back in front of you, you tend to have some second thoughts. Or you just scarf down the food as quick as you can, hopefully without tasting it, and pray for no turbulence. And as we all learned early in the trip, no matter how badly you have to take care of business, don't go to the bathroom when there's turbulence! Find another way.

On the other hand, there's a slightly bitter taste as well. We're home, and while that's a good thing, we're left to wrestle with the reality that almost two years of planning, praying, and sheer excitement has come to an end. In other respects, the excitement is just beginning. But the journey of paperwork and the thrill of finally receiving a proposal is history. Meeting other people in our travel group and questioning what the experience will be like is done. Preparing for a long trip and packing suitcases, not really knowing if most of what we're taking will actually be needed, is finished. China has come and gone. Our questions have been taken care of. Our dreams have come true. Our prayers have been answered. Finally.

It was hard to say good-bye to our family in Ontario because it was very evident that they bonded quickly with Kaitlyn, and Kaitlyn with them. It was hard to take our little girl out of the arms of Oma or Nannie and Granddad to leave, knowing Kaitlyn wouldn't see such important people in her life for a while to come. We saw scores of people - many relatives and a lot of close friends - while we were in Ontario that we wanted to spend more time with but simply couldn't.

And now, we're home. Alone. Just the three of us. Four, if you count Dreyfuss. No experienced extra hands living under the same roof to help us, though we know many people here who are more than happy to help. We make the bottles. We lay down for naps. We get to play. Just Mommy, Daddy, and Baby Kaitlyn, the beginning of our own little family.

Though the thought of saying good-bye still tastes a little bitter, life at home is defintely sweet. Sweet, indeed.

2 Comments:

At Mon Aug 15, 11:49:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Marsha's mother. As I read your story, which I linked to from Marsha's blog (I hope you don't mind perfect strangers reading your posted thoughts!)and even though I don't know you, it brought tears to my eyes! I have been following your journey ever since we were in Moose Jaw the middle of August.

Coincidentally, I am reading Randy Alcorn's book SAFELY HOME, a fiction-based-on-factual-composite-characters which really shows the difference between being a Christian in the West and being a Christian in China. Your little girl is much blessed to be in Canada with Christian parents....

I notice you are a John Grisham fan, as I am (and Marsha too).

Blessings on all of you! May little Kaitlyn grow "in wisdom and stature, in favour with God and man" (Luke 2:52) and may you be given wisdom and strenth for each day.

Merle in BC

 
At Tue Aug 16, 08:29:00 a.m., Blogger Kevin Weeks said...

Hi Merle,

I don't mind at all ... thanks for checking in!

K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home