Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat

There is an old sports adage that says, "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." This phrase was very obviously coined by someone who lost. A lot.

I played in a co-ed baseball tournament this weekend, the first baseball I've played in a long time. It reminded me that when it comes to playing sports, I'm pretty competitive. I don't want to lose. Playing in a church league co-ed baseball tournament doesn't exactly boost my odds of being successful. Even though some of the 5 games we played yesterday was a real gong show, it was fun to play with some people I knew and many I didn't. We lost four of our five games and all I came away with was a sunburn that only covers about 3/4 of my face. Good times.

On the other hand, I went to my first CFL game last night with a few friends. Going to a Riders game at Taylor Field is a pretty sweet experience especially when its a season opener and the Riders win big. Take away the rain, the howling wind, the chilly temperatures, and that delightful wet sensation I had running through my butt cheeks because I sat in a puddle in my seat as soon as we got there, and hey ... we got a ballgame! Now there's some good times.

So winning and losing does matter. And so does how you play the game. Because how you play the game determines whether you win or lose. And it's a lot more fun when you win. And winning matters. Right? Right. Strangely enough, if given the opportunity, I still think I'd experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat all over again (minus the wet butt cheeks part ... maybe).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home