Sunday, April 02, 2006

Going to the Movies

Recently, a couple friends of mine posted an article on their blog by a guy named Douglas Wilson. He is a pastor in the US whose work has been published by Focus on the Family. In order to understand what I'm talking about, you'll need to read the actual article, which is a short but provocative read. You can do that by clicking on the links to Shane's or Nick's blog on the right side of this page. So go there now and read the article ... but come back here when you're done! If you don't come back, just remember ... I know where you live ...

OK, welcome back. The point of Wilson's article is that if we're watching immoral behaviour on the big screen, we may as well be watching it in person. Or, to take it the extreme, we may as well be doing it ourselves. He forces us to ask, what's the difference between the two? His point is well taken, and is a much needed call to holiness, both for teenagers and for adults. He even uses loaded words like "hypocrisy" to get his point across. But reading this article left me wondering if such a "full-frontal" (no pun intended) attack on this particular subject is doing more to breed this hypocritical reputation Christians have earned over the years rather than demystifying it.

As I said earlier, I agree with the point Wilson is emphasizing. We must be much more careful with what we watch and thereby endorse, voluntarily or not. But are we compartmentalizing sin in the process? Have we elevated sexual sin above any other sin?

I know I might take some heat for this, but how are we to differentiate a movie that blantantly endorses sexually immoral behaviour from, say, the Simpsons? Or 24? I know a lot of Christians who wouldn't watch sexually immoral behaviour in a movie, but will grab a bowl of popcorn and watch the latest action movie regardless of the violence or otherwise immoral behaviour.

I also have a lot of (mature) Christian friends who enjoy the Simpsons. Personally, I could care less if Bart or Homer had cement blocks tied to their ankles and were thrown overboard ... even though there is the occasional funny moment.

I have even more (mature) Christian friends who enjoy 24. Personally, I can't get enough of the show. And while neither one of these programs shows explicit sexual behaviour, it does show other immorality. And quite a bit of it, too. Is it OK to watch the Simpsons and 24, but not a movie with a few "skin scenes," as Wilson calls it? Now I find myself asking the same question again: what's the difference?

Or what about the reality shows that have bombarded the boob tube (again, no pun intended on Wilson's article)? Shows where lying, cheating, and stealing - and sometimes sex - is not only tolerated, it's expected.

I wonder if Wilson's point, though accurate and convicting, could be expanded. While we need to stay away from movies that have these sexually explicit scenes, might there be some value in some of these other movies or TV shows?

I'll be the first to admit, I raised my guard more than a little when I read Wilson's article the first time. While I have a low tolerance for reality shows (that's more of a personal opinion), I - much like the rest of humanity - love 24 and would find it hard to stop watching.

But could it be that some of these shows teach us something about "real life," even if it is "real life" at its worst? To some, that may sound like a lame attempt at justifying something I want to keep doing. Is it, really?

The impression I got from Wilson's article was that instead of being in the world but not of the world, we need to be out of the world AND not of the world. To be honest with you, I'm not sure why that is my first impression because I agree with what he is saying. Perhaps it is the tone in which he says it.

Are we not able to find some redemptive value in a sarcastic, beer-guzzling cartoon character who, among all of life's other troubles, has a wife with blue hair? Is the ever-immortal Jack Bauer unable to teach us that, though he lives life at its very worst in almost every respect, there may be other people in the world like him who need a divine intervention? Has it become completely impossible for us - Christians or not - to separate fact from fiction? It's not that I'm endorsing the behaviour of Homer or Jack, but does the fact we don't agree with it mean it is no longer real?

As I look at this again, I notice that I'm asking more questions than I'm answering. I suppose I'm still coming to grips with this myself, and I'm not sure I'm anywhere close to an answer yet. And until I get there, I'll keep asking. Thanks to Nick and Shane for posting a thought-provoking article.

5 Comments:

At Wed Apr 05, 08:11:00 a.m., Blogger Shane Sowden said...

Nice puns!!! Even if they weren't intended. Good article man.

 
At Wed Apr 05, 12:57:00 p.m., Blogger Nick said...

Kevin, thanks for your response.
It is interesting that you said that his "attack on this particular subject is doing more to breed this hypocritical reputation Christians have earned over the years rather than demystifying it." If by hypocritical you mean having a high and biblical understanding of holiness, then he would be guilty as charged: "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people" (Ephesians 5:3). If by hypocritical you mean that he is revealing our sin in our normal behaviour, then he would be guilty as charged. If, however, you mean hypocritical by saying that he is judging us, he is not. Douglas Wilson is not saying that he is better than others because he is not doing this or that...that is the judgmentalism that Jesus warned us about (Matt. 7:3-5). Conviction of sin often brings anger and even looking for the faults of the one through whom the conviction came. Douglas Wilson is not judgmental or hypocritical. He is faithful and he is loving. To tell the truth is to be loving. I am thankful for Douglas Wilson.
It is interesting that you say that Douglas Wilson has elevated sexual sin above other sins. I don't think he is doing this; I think that this is the particular sin he is emphasizing in this article. I think that the same logic could be applied to murder, and so on. It may mean that we need to give up watching certain television shows even if we like them, for Jesus said: "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it" (Matthew 16:24-25). A large reality of discipleship is self denial.
Concerning your comment that we can learn more about "real life" from watching such shows, I leave you with this though from Malcolm Mudderidge (loosely paraphrased): Mother Teresa does not watch television, does not read the newspapers, and does not go to the movies; that is why she knows what is going on in the world. TV is unreality. God's word is reality. TV and movies shape our worldview and I still think Douglas Wilson is right, whether watching someone having sex in real life or on TV in a sex scene, they are the same in God's eyes. "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Jesus, Matthew 5:28).

 
At Wed Apr 05, 06:50:00 p.m., Blogger Kevin Weeks said...

Hey Nick,

I'm wondering if you misunderstood what I am saying in my response. As I stated a couple of times, I completely agree with Wilson's instruction. At no point am I seeking to find fault in him or what he wrote. I think we would both agree this is a very thought-provoking article. I don't think he's being judgemental at all, and I would agree that Christ-like holiness calls for a high standard of living that means turning away from things that are impure. As I also stated, my response is part of a personal process to come to terms with how Christians - which may include Wilson, or not - tend to "compartmentalize" these kinds of things. K.

 
At Thu Apr 06, 12:25:00 p.m., Blogger Nick said...

Kevin,

I am sorry that I misunderstood you. Thank you for the clarification. I agree with you also that we do not want to make sexual sins worse than murder, etc. I agree with you that it is a challenge: how do we as Christians be in the world but not of it? May God give us both wisdom in this regard. Your brother in Christ,

Nick

 
At Mon Sep 29, 10:23:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandparents would not even go to my father's high school graduation because it was held in a theatre, which they considered to be the "devil's home". When I was a child, I was not allowed to go to any type of movie. I was not allowed to go swimming on Sundays. I was not allowed to listen to any kind of music except for gospel or classical. I was not allowed to go to dances. Movies, modern music, and dancing was "of the devil".

Well, I guess that I am "of the devil" now. My parents, and all of you uber religious people, are turning away more people than you are "bringing into the fold". Raise up a child in the way of the lord and when he is grown he (or she) will not depart from it? Right on. Doesn't work. What happened to love? What happened to "cast the first stone"? What happened to humility? My parents, who once dragged me across pavement until I was bleeding to make me attend church, did more to turn me away than Satan himself could ever have done.

Judge not unless you be judged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home